Psychological Assessment, Therapy and Counselling
for Teenagers (14 years +) & Adults
Psychological problems include anything related to thoughts, perceptions, memories, emotions, moods, impulses, motivation and behaviour (actions, communication style), that cause distress and/or disruption in your life.
They can be caused by a combination of physical, genetic, environmental, social, cultural, lifestyle and/or personality factors. Causes are unique to each person and sometimes can be complex. Therefore, simplistic or one-size-fits-all approaches and solutions are usually not effective.
I have experience in assessing individual’s particular situations and helping to identify what can effectively be addressed and how.
Problems can often help us reflect on what is important to us and motivate us to develop and make positive changes in our lives.
They may not meet criteria for a diagnosis of a mental or psychological disorder. Sometimes they can be normal reactions to difficult life circumstances and events.
Intervention can help you manage and prevent problems from worsening and it is never too late to seek help if you are concerned or distressed about:
- sadness/depressed mood
- loss of motivation/interest
- low self-esteem/worth
- loss of confidence
- too much stress
- difficulties relaxing
- sleep problems
- social withdrawal
- painful memories
- boredom/lack of purpose
- poor body image
- body dissatisfaction
- eating problems
- problematic drug/alcohol use
- relationship stress/conflict
- family problems
- not coping at school/university
- work stress
- difficulties adjusting to injury/chronic illness/disability/stages of life
I use evidence-based treatment/therapy for the following:
- Mood Disorders (depression, post-natal, bipolar)
- Anxiety Disorders (generalised, social, panic, specific phobias, health)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Eating, Dieting & Exercise Disorders (anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating, eating disorder not otherwise specified – EDNOS/other specified feeding or eating disorder – OSFED, orthorexia)
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
- Victims of Violent Crime (physical & sexual assault, including adult survivors of child sexual abuse)
- Psychological Adjustment to Illnesses, Injuries and Disabilities.
- Relationship Counselling when both people are willing to attend and work on shared goals